JEWELLERY CARE TIPS
Now that you’ve bought yourself an exquisite piece worth a few thousands/lakhs, its time to start taking care of your precious possession. Not sure how? We will help you! Keep these tips in mind to keep the sparkle alive!
- Apply lotion, cosmetics, hairspray and perfume before dressing in jewellery.
- When undressing, wipe each piece with a clean soft cloth to remove oils and perspiration.
- Store in a fabric-lined box, separately or individually-wrapped in tissue to prevent scratches.
- Wearing jewellery when doing physical work such as housekeeping, gardening or exercise.
- Wearing jewellery while swimming or bathing.
Confused how to clean that beauty without damaging it? Read on…
- Always follow the instructions appearing on the label or box.
- Clean in a secure location, not the rim of a sink where a piece may slip down the drain.
- Use only a soft brush, never sharp or hard objects, to remove dirt or particles.
- Clean your jewellery often; lotions, soaps and skin oils alter the optical properties of diamonds and gemstones, causing them to look dull.
- Get professional help periodically.
- For diamond jewellery, use a soft brush dipped in warm water and a mild detergent.
- Never expose pearl jewellery to chemicals or solvents and store each piece in a soft bag.
- Don't expose coloured gemstones to chemicals, solvents or ultra-sonic without knowing their specific cleaning requirements.
Want to keep them dazzling forever?
Follow these instructions and watch them shine till eternity!
- Keep your Laboratory Reports in a safe location, separate from jewellery pieces, for security.
- Have your jewellery cleaned and checked by a professional for worn mountings, loose prongs and general condition at least once per year.
- Have white gold re-plated, platinum re-polished and prongs re-tipped as necessary to maintain original condition (generally every 24 months or so).
- Have frequently-worn pearls restrung as necessary, with a knot between each pearl to prevent loss if the string breaks.
- Some jewellery gemstones should not be exposed to sudden temperature changes; know your pieces and their needs.
- Select daily-wear jewellery that is in harmony with your lifestyle and schedule of activities.
- Treat each piece as if it were a family heirloom, for someday it may be.